The Holy Quran is a miracle of Allah the Almighty to establish the Prophethood of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). Every miracle must have a few salient features:
- Challenge: It must be accompanied with a challenge that no other mortal can achieve that feat
- Reminder: It must remind a person of Allah the High and must not be a source of attracting the people towards himself like the mystics and fake godmen do.
- No Training: The bringer of that miracle should not have learnt the art or technique at the hands of any human being other than a divine persona
- Not in vain: The miracle should not be a vain or useless act which has no meaning or purpose
We see that the Holy Quran fulfills all the above criteria are fulfilled by the Holy Quran.
- Challenge: The Holy Quran has challenged the people to bring the like of it or ten chapters like any of its chapters or at least one chapter like it.
“Say: If men and jinn should combine together to bring the like of this Quran, they could not bring the like of it, though some of them were aiders of others.”
“Or, do they say: He has forged it. Say: Then bring ten forged chapters like it and call upon whom you can besides Allah, if you are truthful.”
“And if you are in doubt as to that which We have revealed to Our servant, then produce a chapter like it and call on your witnesses besides Allah if you are truthful.”
Needless to state, the enemies have tried every act in the book to destroy Islam and Muslims but have failed to bring the like of Quran or a better book. There have been some fools or imbeciles through the course of history who did try to fabricate some verses as a challenge to the Holy Quran but ended up only degrading themselves. For those desirous of such examples should refer to the preface of the book ‘Al-Bayaan Fi Tafseer al-Quran’ penned by the great authority of emulation (Marja’-e-Deeni) Ayatullah al-Uzmaa Sayed Abul Qasim al-Khuee (r.a.).
- Reminder: Certainly, there cannot be a better reminder for the human beings than the Book of Allah. Allah – Mighty and Majestic be He – has Himself called His Book as a “reminder for the worlds” in at least four places in the Holy Quran. The Holy Quran has even prohibited any man of Allah to invite the people towards himself. Rather, he must always remind the people about Allah. “It is not meet for a mortal that Allah should give him the Book and the wisdom and prophethood, then he should say to men: Be my servants rather than Allah’s; but rather (he would say): Be worshippers of the Lord because of your teaching the Book and your reading (it yourselves).”
- No Training: The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) did not attend any class or school or learnt from any teacher, neither before his declaration of Prophethood nor after it. Only Allah the All-Knowing was his teacher and none else. “And you did not recite before it any book, nor did you transcribe one with your right hand, for then could those who say untrue things have doubted.”
But it certainly does not imply that the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) did not know to read or write as some Muslims claim. They say that that the word ‘Ummi’ in the Holy Quran implies that he (s.a.w.a.) did not know how to read and write. The infallible Imams (a.s.) have condemned such an idea and justified that how could a person who was sent to teach the people how to read and write would himself be unlettered and illiterate. The Imams (a.s.) have even cursed those who propound such an idea. According to the Imams (a.s.), the word ‘Ummi’ refers to ‘Umm al-Quraa’ (the mother of villages) which was one of the names of Makkah. Since the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) was born and brought up here, he was conferred with this title.
[For details, one can refer to Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 16, p. 82, Chapter 6 (Beirut Edition)]
Then what does the above verse entail? It implies that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) did not attend any school or teacher before or after his Prophethood and learn to read or write from any other human being.
On the other hand, the false claimants – who have the ability to perform some extraordinary feats like mystics – acquire this power after a lot of effort and training.
- Not In Vain: Some mystics and bogus god-men claim miracles like making gold out of nowhere or simply keeping silent for a year or so. Such acts do not benefit anyone except the false claimant himself. But, the Holy Quran is a book of life for all human beings. It is useful for the intellectuals as well as for the laymen, the scholars as well as the researchers, the legislators as well as the jurists, and so on and so forth. It is a continuous radiation of light for those who want to benefit from it. But for those who want to turn a blind eye and in whose hearts there is a disease, nothing can cure them if the Book of Allah cannot.
The Miraculous Aspect of the Holy Quran:
Now, we come to the last and a very important aspect of our discussion. From which aspect is the Holy Quran a miracle? Is it only from its literary aspect like many people harp? Or no, there is another aspect to it also?
The answer is very obvious in the light of the Quranic verses and the teachings of the infallible guides (a.s.).
First and foremost, there is no doubt that the Holy Quran is unmatched and unparalleled vis-à-vis its literature. But its miraculous aspect is certainly not restricted to its literature as the Quran itself declares, “And We have not taught him poetry, nor is it meet for him; it is nothing but a reminder and a plain Quran.” Otherwise, it would have been restricted only to those who are aware of Arabic language and are connoisseurs of its subtleties.
The Book of Allah is for the whole mankind from the 6th century of Hijri till the Day of Judgment. Hence, the miracle should survive till that time. Its miraculous aspects are its concepts and teachings especially in the principles of religion like divine monotheism, divine justice, and reminders concerning the Day of Judgment and of course, Imamate. In addition to these, its instructions in the field of ethics, family life, historical lessons, etc. are clear indications that all of these can never be the work of man. Indeed, it is a miracle which Allah has kept for the entire mankind till the Day of Judgment.
Needless to state, this is a very lengthy discussion that requires considerable time and effort, a luxury not affordable in such a brief booklet. Thus, we end our discussion over here with a little prayer that this humble effort is acceptable in the Honourable Court of Allah the Almighty with the mediation of His proofs, the infallible Ahle Bait (a.s.).
Finally, we pray to Allah – Mighty and Majestic be He – that He hastens the reappearance of our master Imam Mahdi Hujjat Ibn al-Hasan al-Askari (a.t.f.s.) so that he teaches the entire human race the real and profound teachings of the Book of Allah. When he (a.t.f.s.) reappears, all the false and junk exegesis will be discarded and the real interpretation will prevail. That will be the golden era when the whole of mankind will be glowing in divine teachings and the darkness of ignorance will be expelled from the face of the earth. Amen!
Our Lord! Accept from us because surely You are the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing!
Unworthy creature of Allah
8th Ramazan al-Mubarak, 1435
 Surah Bani Israaeel (17): Verse 88
 Surah Hud (11): Verse 13
 Surah Baqarah (2): Verse 23
 Surah Yusuf (12): Verse 104; Surah Suaad (38): Verse 87; Surah Qalam (68): Verse 52; Surah Takveer (81): Verse 27
 Surah Aale Imraan (3): Verse 79
 Surah Ankaboot (29): Verse 48
 Surah Yasin (36): Verse 69