عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ مُسْلِمٍ عَنْ اَبِي جَعْفَرٍؑ قَالَ اَمَا اِنَّهُ لَيْسَ عِنْدَ اَحَدٍ مِنَ النَّاسِ حَقٌّ وَ لَا صَوَابٌ اِلَّا شَيْءٌ اَخَذُوهُ مِنَّا اَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَ لَا اَحَدٌ مِنَ النَّاسِ يَقْضِي بِحَقٍّ وَ عَدْلٍ اِلَّا وَ مِفْتَاحُ ذٰلِكَ الْقَضَاءِ وَ بَابُهُ وَ اَوَّلُهُ وَ سُنَنُهُ اَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ عَلِيُّ بْنُ اَبِي طَالِبٍؑ فَاِذَا اشْتُبِهَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ الْاُمُورُ كَانَ الْخَطَاُ مِنْ قِبَلِهِمْ اِذَا اَخْطَئُوا وَ الصَّوَابُ مِنْ قِبَلِ عَلِيِّ بْنِ اَبِي طَالِبٍ
Muhammad Ibn Muslim reports from Imam Abu Jafar (al-Baqer a.s.) who said, “Know that there is neither truth nor fact with anyone from the people except that they have taken it from us Ahle Bait (peace be upon them). None from the people judges with truth and justice except the key to that decree, its door, its beginning and its path is Ameerul Momineen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him). When affairs are confusing for them, the mistakes are from their side when they err and the truth is from the side of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him).”
1) Divine emissaries and ambassadors like the Prophets, Messengers and Imams (peace be on them all) are the lights that show people the right path and realities. If man takes guidance from their teachings in all aspects of his life, he will be fortunate in this world as well as the hereafter.
2) Carnal desires, satanic whisperings, insinuations of the self, etc. are the factors that prevent humans from benefiting from the above lights. If these devilish forces overpower the human being, wretchedness becomes his fate in this world as well as in the hereafter.
3) Interestingly, both divine as well as devilish forces have left their imprint in history for us to take lessons, provided we use the lights of intellect and conscience.
1. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 26, H. 26, p. 157, H. 3, Chapter 11
2. Al-Amaali of al-Shaikh al-Mufeed (r.a.), p. 95, 11th Majlis.
3. Similar hadis with slight variation in Basaaer al-Darajaat, p. 519, H. 4, Chapter 19
4. Wasaael al-Shiah, vol. 27, p. 68, Chapter 7, H. 33222