Ibn Qulawayh quotes that my father, may Allah have mercy on him, narrated to me from Husain Ibn Hasan Ibn Abaan from Muhammad Ibn Uramah from a person who narrated to him from Ali Ibn Maimoon al-Saaegh that Imam Ja’far Sadiq (a.s.) advised him,
“O Ali! Perform the Ziyaarat of Imam Husain (a.s.) and never forsake it.”
Ali Ibn Maimoon asked, “What is the reward of the one who visits him?”
Imam (a.s.) replied, “Whoever comes to him on foot (walking), Allah will grant him one reward for every step he takes, erase a sin and elevate him by a grade. When he reaches (for Ziyaarat), Allah appoints two angels for him who will record only the good that he speaks and they will not write anything bad which he speaks. They do not write anything else. When the visitor leaves (from there), they bid him farewell and advise him, ‘O friend of Allah! You are forgiven. You belong to Allah’s party, the party of His Messenger (s.a.w.a.) and that of his Ahlul Bait (a.s.). By Allah, you shall never see hell-fire nor shall it see you or burn you.”
[Kaamil al-Ziyaaraat, chapter 49, pp. 133-134, H. 6]
Apart from this, it is narrated in other traditions of the 49th chapter of the book Kaamil al-Ziyaaraat that with the first step that a person takes for this Ziyaarat, all his sins are forgiven, and thereafter with every step he gets further purified and his rewards increase.
- Performing Ziyaarat on foot is not easy but it is not impossible either.
- The visitors face lot of troubles during this journey and even their feet get injured.
- They are well aware that although we are walking, but neither are we tied in ropes or chains nor are we mounted on saddle-less camels.
- Hence, disregarding their difficulties, these visitors still walk towards Karbala just to experience, albeit only the slightest of it, the pain and troubles which Imam Sajjad (a.s.) and the womenfolk had to bear.
- Therefore, this foot journey to Karbala is an expression of love towards the Ahlul Bait (a.s.) as well as being sorrowful in their grief.
O Allah! For the sake of the troubles borne by Ahlul Bait (a.s.), grant us the opportunity to walk towards Karbala every year and bless us that day, when the reappearance of the Imam of our time, His Eminence Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) would have taken place and we undertake this journey to Karbala, on foot, along with him. Aameen, O Lord of the worlds!