عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ جَعْفَرٍ عَنْ اَخِيهِ مُوسَى عَنْ آبَائِهٖ عَلَیْہِمُ السَّلَامُ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ ﷺ مَنْ فَارَقَ جَمَاعَةَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ فَقَدْ خَلَعَ رِبْقَةَ الْاِسْلَامِ مِنْ عُنُقِهِ قِيلَ يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ ﷺ وَ مَا جَمَاعَةُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ قَالَ جَمَاعَةُ اَهْلِ الْحَقِّ وَ اِنْ قَلُّوا
Ali Ibn Ja’far (r.a.) narrates from his brother (Imam) Moosa Ibn Ja’far (peace be on him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him and his progeny) said, “Whoever distances him from the congregation of Muslims, then indeed he has taken out the noose of Islam from his neck.” He (peace be on him and his progeny) was asked, “O Messenger of Allah! What is the congregation of Muslims?” He (peace be on him and his progeny) replied, “The congregation of the people of the truth, even if they are a minority.”
1. Noose of Islam means to be bound the dictates of Saqalain (i.e. the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Holy Prophet (peace be on him and his progeny)).
2. One who is bound by the dictates of Saqalain will never deviate from the right path.
3. If someone distances himself from the group of the people of truth, he goes out of the fold of Islam.
4. The infallible guides (peace be on them) are the best examples of the people of truth. If one distances himself from them, he goes out of the fold of Islam.
5. Minority can mean even one person. Thus, numbers are never the criterion of truthfulness. The benchmark is truth.
1. Al-Amaali of al-Shaikh al-Saduq (r.a.), p. 333, H. 3, Majlis 54
2. Rauzah al-Waaezeen, vol. 2, p. 334
3. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 27, p. 67, H. 1