The night of 19th Maah e Ramadan is one of the most heart-wrenching nights for the lovers of Ahle Bait (a.s.). It was this dreadful night in the year 40 A.H. when the accursed Abd al-Rahmaan Ibn Muljim al-Muraadi struck the fatal blow on the blessed head of Ameerul Momineen Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (a.s.), the most compassionate and just person created by Allah after the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). Let us look at how this attack was planned by Ibn Muljim which led to the martyrdom of Imam Ali (a.s.). Allamah Majlisi (a.r.) narrates in Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 42, p. 274 that the night in which Imam Ali (a.s.) was struck on his head, Ibn Muljim was in the house of Qataam, the lady who lured him into killing Imam Ali (a.s.). He told her:
O Qataam! In this night, I shall kill Ali Ibn Abi Talib (a.s.) for you.
Then he took his sword and started sharpening it. When he completed sharpening it, he brought it in front of her. She said: I want to induce poison in it.
He asked: What are you doing with (such a) poison which if placed on a mountain, it will break it?
She insisted: Leave me. I am poisoning it because when you will see Ali (a.s.), you will lose your senses, your hands will tremble and when you strike him, there will be no effect in it. But if it is poisoned, then even if the strike is not impactful, the poison will (still) work.
- After the martyrdom of Her Eminence Fatima Zahra (a.s.), the presence of Imam Ali (a.s.) still ensured the safety of Ahle Bait (a.s.)
- The martyrdom of Ameerul Momineen (a.s.) opened the doors for all kinds of atrocities upon Ahle Bait (a.s.) such as poisoning of Imam Hasan (a.s.), incident of Karbala, taking womenfolk of Ahle Bait (a.s.) as captives and killing every Imam (a.s.) thereafter by poisoning
- Martyrdom of Ameerul Momineen (a.s.), just like his life, is unparalleled in the history of mankind
- All the other infallible Imams (a.s.) were martyred either through poisoning or killing (by a sword)
- But the enmity in the hearts of Bani Umayyah against Ameerul Momineen (a.s.) was so severe that it made them go to the extent of attacking him with a poisoned sword
Our condolences to the Imam of our time, Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.), and to all lovers of Ahle Bait (a.s.) on the martyrdom of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (a.s.). May Allah the High hasten his reappearance! Aameen!