عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ عُقْبَةَ عَنْ اَبِيهِ قَالَ قُلْتُ لِاَبِي عَبْدِ اللهِؑ اِنَّ لَنَا خَادِمَةً لَا تَعْرِفُ مَا نَحْنُ عَلَيْهِ فَاِنْ اَذْنَبَتْ ذَنْبًا وَ اَرَادَتْ اَنْ تَحْلِفَ بِيَمِينٍ قَالَتْ لَا وَ حَقِّ الَّذِي اِذَا ذَكَرْتُمُوهُ بَكَيْتُمْ قَالَ فَقَالَ رَحِمَكُمُ اللهُ مِنْ اَهْلِ بَيْتٍ
Ali Ibn Uqbah reports from his father, “I said to (Imam) Abu Abdillah (al-Sadeq – peace be on him) that we have a lady servant who does not know our faith (i.e. Shiaism). When she does something wrong and intends to swear, she says ‘No, for the sake of the one on remembering him, you cry’ (referring to Imam Husain – peace be on him – and the incidents of Karbala)’. Imam (peace be on him) said,
‘May Allah have mercy on you from the Ahle Bait (peace be on them)’.”
1) The servant who was working with the family was unaware of their faith shows the conditions prevalent at that time.
2) She was a simpleton who was unable to distinguish between the faiths.
3) The mourning (azaadaari) of Imam Husain (peace be on him) is one of the best ways to attract the people towards the path of truth.
4) Imam (peace be on him) has sent mercy from the Ahle Bait (peace be on them) to the family as well as the servant, which shows that anyone who has a soft corner for Imam Husain (peace be on him) and mourns for him will receive the prayers of the Ahle Bait (peace be on them).
1. Rejaal al-Kashi (r.a.), p. 344, No. 636
2. Rejaal al-Allamah (al-Hilli) (r.a.), p. 126
3. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 27, p. 103, H. 71