عَنْ اَبِي حَمْزَةَ الثُّمَالِيِّ عَنْ اَبِي جَعْفَرٍ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَلِيٍّ الْبَاقِرِ عَنْ آبَائِهٖ عَلَیْہِمُ السَّلَامُ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ ﷺ لِعَلِيٍّ ؑ يَا عَلِيُّ مَا ثَبَتَ حُبُّكَ فِي قَلْبِ امْرِئٍ مُؤْمِنٍ فَزَلَّتْ بِهِ قَدَمٌ عَلَى الصِّرَاطِ اِلَّا ثَبَتَتْ لَهٗ قَدَمٌ حَتّٰى يُدْخِلَهُ اللهُ عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ بِحُبِّكَ الْجَنَّةَ
Abu Hamzah al-Thumaali reports on the authority of Imam Abu Ja’far Muhammad Ibn Ali al-Baqer (peace be on them both) vide his ancestors (peace be on them all) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be on him and his progeny) told Ali (peace be on him),
“O Ali! Your love is not steadfast in the heart of a believing man and his step slips on the Bridge but that his step will be made firm till Allah – Mighty and Majestic be He – causes him to enter Paradise due to your love.”
1. The narrator of this tradition is Abu Hamzah al-Thumaali whose name was Saabit Ibn Dinaar. He is called as al-Thumaali because he belonged to al-Thumaal means a group that participated in a war of which very few people survived.
2. In this tradition, two important conditions for the love of Ameerul Mominneen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be on them both) is mentioned: Faith (imaan) and steadfastness. In other words, one’s beliefs has to be correct to benefit from the love of Ali (peace be on him) and this love should be steadfast and permanent. It should neither be in phases nor should it fluctuate.
3. The Seraat is a bridge which leads to Paradise but passes through the Hell. If someone is found lacking in his faith in Ameerul Momineen (peace be on him) and his infallible descendants (peace be on them all), he will slip on the Bridge straight into hell-fire.
4. True belief is a catalyst that leads man to perform his religious obligations like prayers, fasting, etc. and keeps him away from sins and disobediences of Allah the Almighty.
5. The details of the Bridge are mentioned in several books of beliefs vis-à-vis the Day of Judgment. Interested readers may refer to these books.
1. Al-Amaali of al-Shaikh al-Saduq (r.a.), p. 583, H. 28, Majlis 85
2. Fazaael al-Shiah, p. 6, H. 4
3. Ta’veel al-Aayaat al-Zaaherah, p. 827 under Surah al-Ikhlaas
4. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 27, p. 77, H. 8