عَنْ اَبِي هَارُونَ الْعَبْدِيِّ قَالَ كُنْتُ اَرَى رَأْيَ الْخَوَارِجِ لَا رَأْيَ لِي غَيْرُهُ حَتّٰى جَلَسْتُ اِلَى اَبِي سَعِيدٍ الْخُدْرِيِّ رَحِمَهُ اللهُ فَسَمِعْتُهُ يَقُولُ اُمِرَ النَّاسُ بِخَمْسٍ فَعَمِلُوا بِاَرْبَعٍ وَ تَرَكُوا وَاحِدَةً فَقَالَ لَهٗ رَجُلٌ يَا بَا سَعِيدٍ مَا هَذِهِ الْاَرْبَعُ الَّتِي عَمِلُوا بِهَا قَالَ الصَّلَاةُ وَ الزَّكَاةُ وَ الْحَجُّ وَ صَوْمُ شَهْرِ رَمَضَانَ قَالَ فَمَا الْوَاحِدَةُ الَّتِي تَرَكُوهَا قَالَ وَلَايَةُ عَلِيِّ بْنِ اَبِي طَالِبٍ عَلَیْہِمَا السَّلَامُ قَالَ الرَّجُلُ وَ اِنَّهَا الْمُفْتَرَضَةُ مَعَهُنَّ قَالَ اَبُو سَعِيدٍ نَعَمْ وَ رَبِّ الْكَعْبَةِ قَالَ الرَّجُلُ فَقَدْ كَفَرَ النَّاسُ اِذَنْ قَالَ اَبُو سَعِيدٍ فَمَا ذَنْبِي
Abu Haroon al-Abdi reports, “I was seeing the standard of the Kharijites and I did not have any standard other than it till I sat with Abu Saeed al-Khudri (may Allah’s mercy be on him) and heard him say, ‘People were ordered for five things. They acted on four but abandoned one.’
One person asked him, ‘O Aba Saeed! What are these four things on which people acted?’
He replied, ‘Prayers, poor-rate, Hajj and fasting during the month of Ramazan’.
The man inquired, ‘And what is the one which they have abandoned?’
He answered, ‘Mastership of Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be on them both).
The man questioned, ‘Is (mastership) it obligatory along with these four?’
He (Abu Saeed) replied, ‘Yes, I swear by the Lord of the Ka’bah!’
The man asked, ‘It means that the people have disbelieved (due their rejection of welaayah)!’
Abu Saeed retorted, ‘It is not my fault’.”
1. I was seeing the standard of Kharijites means I was a Khariji.
2. Kharijis were the worst people of that era.
3. This man, Abu Haroon al-Abdi, converted to Shiism with one statement from Abu Saeed al-Khudri. It means if we propagate our views, it is quite likely that more and more people will come towards Shiism. For, most people are innocent and actually don’t know the way. If invited properly, they will come towards the path of the truth.
1. Al-Amaali of al-Shaikh al-Mufeed (r.a.), p. 139, Majlis 17, H. 3
2. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 27, p. 102, H. 66