عَنْ اَبِي عَبْدِ اللهِؑ قَالَ قَالَ اَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَؑ اُعْطِيتُ تِسْعاً لَمْ يُعْطَهَا اَحَدٌ قَبْلِي سِوَى النَّبِيِّ ﷺ لَقَدْ فُتِحَتْ لِيَ السُّبُلُ وَ عَلِمْتُ الْمَنَايَا وَ الْبَلَايَا وَ الْاَنْسَابَ وَ فَصْلَ الْخِطَابِ وَ لَقَدْ نَظَرْتُ فِي الْمَلَكُوتِ بِاِذْنِ رَبِّي فَمَا غَابَ عَنِّي مَا كَانَ قَبْلِي وَ لَا مَا يَاْتِي بَعْدِي وَ اِنَّ بِوَلَايَتِي اَكْمَلَ اللهُ لِهَذِهِ الْاُمَّةِ دِينَهُمْ وَ اَتَمَّ عَلَيْهِمُ النِّعَمَ وَ رَضِيَ لَهُمْ اِسْلَامَهُمْ اِذْ يَقُولُ يَوْمَ الْوَلَايَةِ لِمُحَمَّدٍ ص يَا مُحَمَّدُ اَخْبِرْهُمْ اَنِّي اَكْمَلْتُ لَهُمُ الْيَوْمَ دِينَهُمْ وَ اَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْهِمُ النِّعَمَ وَ رَضِيتُ اِسْلَامَهُمْ كُلُّ ذٰلِكَ مَنّاً مِنَ اللهِ عَلَيَّ فَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ
Imam Sadeq (peace be upon him) narrates from Ameerul Momineen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him),
“I have been bestowed with nine things, none before me has been given before me except the Prophet (peace be upon him and his holy progeny). Indeed, the paths have been opened for me, I know the times of death, calamities, genealogy and the decisive statement; indeed, I looked in the celestial worlds with the permission of my Lord, so whatever was in the past is not concealed from me nor whatever will come after me. Surely, through my mastership Allah has perfected for this nation their religion and completed their bounties upon them and was satisfied for them with their Islam when He says on the Day of Mastership to (Prophet) Muhammad (peace be upon him and his holy progeny), ‘O Muhammad! Inform them that I have perfected for them their religion, completed for them their bounties and am satisfied with their Islam. All of these are from us from Allah upon me. So, praise be to Him.”
1) “The paths have been opened for me” implies that all the sciences and knowledge – without exception – are open and clear for me i.e. like the palm of my hand.
2) “Decisive statement” means the one which distinguishes the truth from the falsehood.
3) “Day of Mastership” is the Day of Ghadeer Khumm i.e. 18th Zilhajj 10 Hijri.
1. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 26, p. 141, H. 14
2. Basaaer al-Darajaat, p. 201, H. 4, Chapter 9
3. Al-Khesaal, vol. 2, p. 414, H. 4
4. Al-Amaali of al-Shaikh al-Toosi (r.a.), p. 205, 8th Majlis
5. Taveel al-Aayaat al-Zaaherah, p. 113