عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَمَّارِ بْنِ يَاسِرٍ عَنْ اَبِيهِ قَالَ سَمِعْتُ النَّبِيَّ ﷺ يَقُولُ اِنَّ حَافِظَيْ عَلِيٍّ لَيَفْخَرَانِ عَلَى سَائِرِ الْحَفَظَةِ بِكَوْنِهِمَا مَعَ عَلِيٍّؑ وَ ذٰلِكَ اَنَّهُمَا لَمْ يَصْعَدَا اِلَى اللهِ عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ بِشَيْءٍ مِنْهُ فَيُسْخِطَهُ
Ammar Ibn Yaasir reports, “I heard the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his holy progeny) say, ‘Verily, the two recording angels of Ali (peace be upon him) take pride upon all other recording angels because of them being with Ali (peace be upon him). The reason being that they don’t ascend to Allah – Mighty and Majestic be He – with any deed by which He (viz. Allah) becomes angry’.”
1) The duty of the recording angels is to record the deeds of every human being. The angel on the right records the good deeds while the one on the left, writes down the evils and sins.
2) This tradition establishes the infallibility of Imams (peace be upon them). Of course, the same applies for all Prophets, Messengers, Imams, successors, etc. (peace be upon all of them).
3) The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his holy progeny) invited the people towards the mastership of Ali (peace be upon him). Wasn’t he (peace be upon him and his holy progeny) truthful? Definitely, he was truthful and even the pagans acknowledged this fact. So, if the mastership of Ali (peace be upon him) was not good or right for the people, he (peace be upon him and his holy progeny) would never have invited the people towards it.
1. Behaar al-Anwaar, vol. 25, p. 194, H. 4
2. Elal al-Sharaae’, vol. 1, p. 8, H. 5 (with minor variations in wordings)